I made a quarantine pie that is low budget and low cost.
I made a half and half pie so one side had sausage and the other side had vegetables.
I’ve done this recipe with many substitutes so If you don’t have any of this, don’t worry anything can be substituted. If you have canned tuna or even canned meat that is a good option too. Recipes always need creativity to make it fun 🙂
2 cups of vegetables of your choice
Ready made Pie Crust (2 Sheets)
1 cup sausages
1 cup Cheese
Spices – Salt, Pepper, Galic, Garam Masala, Turmeric, Paprika, Chilli Powder
- Cook vegetables with some oil and leave to the side. I used potatoes, mushrooms and spinach.
- Cook the sausages with some oil and leave to the side.
- Cut up an onion and sautee it until translucent.
- Put 1/2 of the onion mixture to the side, Add the sausages and sautee for a few minutes with garlic, salt and pepper. If you have some sweet chilli sauce, the best time to add it in. Then leave to the side.
- Take the leftover onion mixture, add vegetables and sautee with spices. 1/2 turmeric, 1 teaspoon of chilli powder, 1/2 masala powder, salt and pepper. Leave it to the side.
- Line the bottom of the baking tray with the ready made pie crust.
- On half of the side, spread tomato paste at the bottom. Top with the sausage Mix, add more tomato paste, top with cheese and aprinkle some paprika.
- On the other side, add in the sautee vegetable mixture untill filled. Add some extra garlic on the top.
- Once done cover with the rest of the pie crust with an egg wash and bake until golden.
Pie crust, can I make my own?
Of course you can, unfortunately I couldn’t find any flour at my local grocery store. Seems like everyone is baking these days. The only option I had was the ready made crust. but a trick have to make pie crust last is getting a rolling pin, rolling it all out until its only 1 to 2 millimetres thick. This allows a think crust to be used so you save more on this crust you can use later plus less calories!
Why half sausage and half vegetable pie?
This is just personal, I like vegetable pies while my husband needs some sort of meat so this is what i did. But A vege pie with cheese – so delicious!
Decorations? With the left over pastry you can cut in Shapes and put on the top.
I saw some really cute ideas, click Here
Is this healthy?
Using a thin crust ensures less carbs are taken in while the filling is really what determines the healthiness of this meal. The recipe above is actually super healthy and hearty. Feel free to omit the cheese or even the crust on top for a more low calorie option.
One serving fills you up for a few hours and YUMMY!!
Lots of love,